name: Barley grass
name: Critesion (Hordeum) murinum, Hordeum
||Maximum height: 40
- Native to the Mediterranean
- Now widespread in New Zealand pasture
especially in drier parts and where fields are closely grazed
and other ground covering plants are sparse.
- Barley grass is an annual or perennial, tufted, usually low-growing
grass. The leaves are light green, have hair on both surfaces
and are often twisted.
- It is not a welcome pasture plant because it has little feed
value and the seeds can pierce sheep's skins or eyes and dogs'
- Pull out and destroy plants to prevent spread of seeds or apply